Stunning, Energy Efficient Home Builders in Melbourne
Capital Building prides itself on its ability to design a variety of building options. One of those is our ability to produce low cost energy efficient housing designs for melbourne property owners. As a ‘Green Living Master Builder’ and Passive House Member, it’s only natural that we construct homes that include as many sustainable options as possible in all our projects. There are two reasons for such projects:
- They help families save on gas, electricity, maintenance and water use costs.
- They are a much healthier and comfortable to live with.
For us energy efficiency isn’t about saving the planet, although that is important. We believe a well designed, energy efficient home does not have to cost a lot more and any extra spent on such features should have the payback in lower bills and surprising levels of comfort for your family. Capitals common sense approach will provide you best efficiencies bang for your building dollar.. We invite you to get in contact with our team today to see how we can build the perfect sustainable housing for you, your family and your budget.
Energy Efficient Housing Design Measures:
The following is an example of options we consider and attempt to incorporate in all our extensions, renovations and new builds. The Capital Building process includes the following:
- Make the most of existing spaces before adding new areas.
- Always look to orientate living areas and indoor-outdoor areas to the north. Free heating in winter.
- Minimise west, east and south facing windows without compromising ventilation.
- Blinds or shutters to avoid heat gain/loss.
- Provide shading (eave/roof/ pergola) cover to protect windows from direct sun during summer months.
- Double glazing in combination with drapes or blinds.
- Auto control roof and ceiling vents.
- We dont build Flat roofs or no cavity roofs
- Flat roofs can be built with a cavity and should have at least 5 degrees fall.
- Avoid Skylights unless no other alternative, then use double glazed opening type. (link our article on this subject)
- Recommend additional ceiling insulation as well as micro porous building wraps under tiles and foil blanket under steel roofing.
- Recommend heat pump hot water storage units. Homes to be all electric where possible in conjunction with solar panels.
- Recommend reversible Ceiling fans.
- Mechanical ventilation ducted to eaves with self closing ducts
- For upper storey walls various wallboard options or render finish to achieve higher insulation values and reduced condensation.
- Lighting should be by low expenditure (low wattage) Compact Fluro and LED type lighting.
- For timber floors recommend ‘Aircell’ insulation or similar over bearers before placing joists.
- For brick houses try to recycle existing roof tiles, clay bricks and large timber beams.
- Capital generally recommends recycled bricks and roof tiles out of necessity, to best match existing.
- Suggest installation of diverter valves to redirect (on demand) water from showers and laundry only for soaker drainage garden watering.
- Install rainwater tanks to supply toilets, laundry and garden water. Filters, and mains re-direction pump can be useful/cost effective alternative in areas with no stormwater.
- Use of heat recovery ventilation systems to reduce moisture build up (Mould), heating and cooling costs.
- Install solar power generation, some good deals and rebates still available.
- Use locally produced materials as much as possible
- Use materials which require less energy to produce
- Zoning and insulation of utility areas and adjoining garage walls and ceilings.
- Use sustainable materials ie plantation timber verses rainforest timbers.
- Recycle building materials as long as they are still sound.
- Capitals project waste is recycled and only about 30% goes into landfill
Contact Our Team to Get Started
If saving on bilis through sustainable house design and living in a very comfortable home is something you want to a part of, call our team, at Capital Building. We are committed to providing Melbourne property owners with an outstanding level of service and communication, and will be happy to book you in for a free consultation or assist with your enquiries. Simply give us a call on 03 9857 9200 or send us a message from our contact page and we will get back to you asap.