Many homeowners feel limited by their floor plan and design when it comes to house extensions. Fortunately, there are several ways to maximise your floor plan and create the perfect space for your needs.
Explore these house extension and renovation ideas offered by the team at Capital Building.
Why Might You Need a Home Extension?
- Create more space: Maybe your family has grown, and you don’t have enough room for everyone to live comfortably, or you need an extra bedroom or office. Whatever the reason, a home extension can give you the extra space you need without having to move.
- Renovate your property: Perhaps you would like to renovate your home but don’t have enough room to do so. A home extension can give you the extra space to expand your kitchen, add a new bathroom, or create a new living area.
- Increase the value of your home: If you’re looking to sell your property, an extension can be a great way to add extra space and amenities, making your home more attractive to potential buyers and potential to receive a higher price.
- Make repairs or additions: A home extension and renovation may be necessary to make repairs or additions to your home. For example, if your foundations are damaged, you may need to replace them to fix the problem. Or, if you want to add a deck or patio, you may need to extend the house to create enough space.
- Change the look of your home: If you’re tired of your current home’s style, an extension can allow you to start fresh and create a new aesthetic.
What are the Different Extension Types Available?
As your family grows, you may need more space than your current home can provide. Here are our favourite methods to creating additional living space through home extensions and renovations:
- Additional Floor Extensions: Second storey extensions involve adding another level to your home. This involves adding structure to support the additional weight of the Second Storey. Interestingly, often Second Storey Extensions are simpler and easier to achieve than Ground Floor Extensions.
- Ground Floor Extensions: These types of extensions built on ground level, onto the front, side, or rear of your home. They are often used to create an open-plan kitchen/dining area, or to create additional rooms. They require new sub-structure, usually in the form of stumps and bearers or a concrete slab.
- Basement Extensions: Basement extensions involve excavating underneath your existing home to create additional living space, such as a guest bedroom or entertainment space. These projects can be very expensive and are generally not recommended in most cases. If you can build up instead, we strongly recommend doing that instead.
- Loft Extensions: Dormer loft extensions involve adding a new storey to your home by converting the existing attic space. These types of conversion projects are typically not recommended, as it will limit ceiling heights. A Second Storey Extension would usually be recommended if achievable.
Extend Existing Living Spaces Outwards
If you have some extra space in your garden, you could consider a rear or side extension to move your existing living space outwards. Perhaps you would like to build a conservatory or sunroom, for example, to create an additional living space that can be enjoyed all year round.
Create Open-Plan Living Spaces
Knocking through walls to create one large room is a great way to make your home feel more spacious and open. It’s perfect for entertaining guests or simply spending time as a family. Alternatively, you can opt for double-storey extensions, where you build playrooms or entertaining areas capped off with a balcony for your guests to enjoy beautiful views.
Add a Porch, Deck, Pergola, or Alfresco Area
Creating a seamless link between your indoor and outdoor areas is a beautiful and effective way to increase your floor plan. Whether it is a porch out the front or a deck, pergola, or alfresco area out the back, this addition to your property provides many benefits, from extending shorter hallways to introducing a wonderful entertaining space for friends and family.
For assistance with designing your house extensions and to introduce creative floor plan ideas, please contact us at Capital Building today.