Leaders in Building Renovations & Extensions - Melbourne

Why Capital?

Extensions and Renovations from the Soul

What should you look for when choosing your building company?

This is what all reputable builders should provide:

  • Solid experience in the building industry.
  • Efficient and sustainable design solutions.
  • Invitation to compare building companies.
  • A 3 month maintenance period after completion.
  • Work guaranteed under the Home Owners Warranty Scheme.
  • Fixed price contracts.
  • Industry standard and plain English contracts and specifications.
  • Guaranteed completion times.

Capital Building provides all these – but this list is not unique. It shouldn’t be a reason to use a building company – it should be expected of building companies.

What is unique comes from the soul of the building company, and the soul of Capital Building knows the most important thing – your new extension or renovation must suit your needs and desires; because it’s your home; your place of rest, your place for excitement, a haven of safety, and of warmth (or cool on a hot Melbourne summer’s day).

Capital Building is a certified Master Builder.

Master Builders are the most qualified builders in the industry, designing and building homes to meet every individual taste and need.

As a result, you will see that a Capital Building home extension or renovation will reflect your personality and embrace your lifestyle.

From Caulfield to Chelsea, Capital has built over 200 unique extensions as a testament to this.

What is a Building Contractor?

The correct term for a building contractor is a building practitioner, in particular when referred to under Victorian (Australia) law. A building practitioner is a licensed practitioner that can cover a number of areas in the building trade:

  • Builder: a person or company that coordinates a building project.  More about this below.
  • Tradesperson: this is someone that specialises in a particular trade, for example, a gas fitter, plumber, plasterer or electrician. More about this below.
  • Demolisher: someone that is brought in to knock down buildings and structures and clear building sites. Demolition is undertaken with careful planning and under strict control.
  • Building Surveyor: there are two types of building surveyor; one is a municipal surveyor and the other one, which you will come across, a private surveyor. They are responsible for ensuring that a building is safe, accessible and energy efficient, as well as being involved, directly or indirectly (via a building inspector), in inspecting a building throughout a project. This position should not be confused with a land surveyor, whose role is to establish boundaries on new land or confirm boundaries on existing land.
  • Draftsperson: a person, also known as a building designer, that draws up the plans for new homes, home extensions and small commercial buildings. Their work, for example, involves drawing out the position of a new extension, choosing the materials and construction methods to use, creating detailed floorplans and helping the client visualise their new extension through imagery.
  • Architect: a person that designs a new home or home extension that meets the requirements of the client. An architect will often be involved in the construction process.
  • Quantity Surveyor: beginning at the planning stage, a quantity surveyor estimates and manages the cost of a building project. Initially, cost projections are based on the architectural design or engineering plans. The surveyor will monitor expenses throughout the project and often work in partnership with the client and any other building practitioners involved in a building project. However, for small domestic projects, a builder practitioner will usually fulfil the role of a quantity surveyor.
  • Engineer: often an engineer will help maintain and improve the standard of a building. Structural engineers are able to design the structure of an extension so that is stable. Such design elements include foundations, load-bearing walls, footings and support beams.

You can be assured that by using a licensed building practitioner you will be using someone that has the skills, knowledge and experience to meet any government-backed national standards. It’s worth noting that you must use a licensed practitioner for important design and building work in your home.

To put this more specifically, when you use building practitioners, certainly in Victoria, it is important to understand that for any renovation, extension or repair that is going to be worth more than $5,000 the practitioner must use a major domestic building contract. Also, for work valued over $16,000 the practitioner must have taken out domestic building insurance. Make sure the builder has a registration ID before you give them a deposit and they start on any building work (a builder’s registration ID can be verified online at the Victorian Building Authority  – for Victoria, Australia).

Also, all practitioners must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board to carry out work worth more than $5,000.

So, the term building practitioner covers a variety of disciplines. However, the two most likely practitioners you will come across when building a new home extension is the builder practitioner and the tradesperson. The builder and the tradesperson are often mistaken for each other, often with many people not knowing the difference. So let’s look at each practitioner in detail so you will be confident in knowing the differences.

How does Capital Building manage projects?

Very successfully by being transparent and honest, and providing you with direct contact with Capital’s builders, designers and contractors throughout a project.

And the icing on the cake? Every skilled person working on your building is dedicated to customer satisfaction.

So go check out the competition and then come back to us when you are satisfied that Capital Building are the builders for your dream home.